1985

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Chapter 2

I tossed three dollars onto the table and left. To this day, I think that was enough to cover the cost of a bowl of oatmeal and some toast. I never went back to Sandy's Place, so I have no way of knowing.

I walked out to the bus stop, my heart beating like a drum.

Damn, damn, damn.

I tried to get ahold of yourself. Just because a beautiful woman was looking at me, that doesn't mean anything. Maybe she really thinks you're something. Maybe she has this perverse desire for fat and balding journalists.

Or maybe not.

I was convinced that she worked for the FBI or the CBL or even Secret Service, God forbid.

There are a hundred ways that can come at you. They can turn a friend or a family member against you. They can catch you saying something overly criticial. Oh, they expect people to grumble about shortages. But complain about how the Constitution has been eroded to nothingness since the War ended, and you can get marked down as a possible sympathizer.

If they want to get you, they sometimes arrange for you to be seduced, . The various agencies are nororious for recruiting very attractive women for this